Use our checklist to help prepare for a speedy – and safe – recovery.
Everybody wants to come home as soon as possible. But being unprepared for re-entry is dangerous and could slow the healing process. The preplanning process should include information about the types of care needed and who will be responsible for providing that care. In addition:
- Will your mom or dad be able to reach household items without a stepstool?
- Are rugs tacked down in order to avoid slips and falls?
- Are all tables free of sharp corners?
- Are stairs free of clutter?
We can answer your questions about how to “senior-proof” their home. Call us!
- Did the social worker arrange for a walker, wheelchair, hospital bed, or commode?
- Have needed home modifications, like a stair/chair lift or ramp been installed?
- Are there grab bars installed by the toilet and in the shower?
- Is there a shower chair and handheld shower head to make showering easier?
We can guide you as to where these items can be purchased. Call us!
- Is there somebody who can provide assistance with toileting, showering or transferring?
- Is there enough healthy easy-to-prepare food in the refrigerator?
- Will somebody be able to do regular food shopping?
- Will somebody be able to pick up prescriptions?
- Will somebody be able to remind your mom or dad to take medications at appropriate times?
If your answers are all “no”, your family may benefit from a Certified Home Health Aide.
Many people need in-home care after rehab or a hospital stay, particularly in the case of:
- Help after a fall
- Recovery after a heart attack or stroke – often a prolonged recovery period
- After surgery assistance
In Home Care from a licensed health care service firm, can provide:
- Help with meals, bathing, and toileting
- Assistance with medications
- Help when it comes to walking or stand-by assistance while first starting to walk again
- Extra help with simple household tasks
- The comfort of knowing you are not alone
Please feel free to call at any time and speak to one of our Senior Care Specialists for guidance.